The ONA is now accepting nominations for its Rising Star Award, which recognizes, celebrates and encourages the next generation of leadership in the Ohio newspaper industry. Now in its second year, the award will recognize three recipients for their commitment to their newspaper, passion for the industry and contribution to the future success of their organization.
The competition is open to all employees of Ohio Newspaper Association member newspapers who been in the industry for five years or less.
This year’s winners were Stephanie Kelly, Digital Specialist at Cox Media Group Ohio; Everdeen Mason, a business reporter for Cox Media Group Ohio; Jennifer O’Rouke, account executive with The Athens Messenger; Arian Smedley, reporter for The Athens Messenger; and Deanna Stevens Ulrich, copy editor for The Akron Beacon Journal and Ohio.com. Click here to learn more about this year’s winners.
- The nominee must have been an active employee of an Ohio Newspaper Association member newspaper during the contest period of September 1, 2012, through August 31, 2013, and must not have worked in the industry for more than five years. The nominee may be nominated by a supervisor or peer.
- The nominee must be an active newspaper professional in advertising, circulation, digital, business, editorial or any other working department of an ONA member newspaper in good standing.
Judging Criteria – please address these 5 areas in your nomination letter.
- Impact – Positively contributes to the success of your organization by better serving the needs of the readers and/or customers; recognizes and comprehends the opportunities and challenges facing the organization and industry, and takes specific steps to successfully address them.
- Leadership – Demonstrates potential for future growth based on working relationships with co-workers, indicating the likelihood of assuming larger and more responsible roles in the future.
- Innovation – Develops fresh or creative ideas to address challenges and opportunities to better serve our readers and advertisers.
- Communication – Effectively communicates with others internally and externally to assure efforts are as successful as possible.
- Commitment – Displays a passion for our industry, that not only positively impacts the organization, but also the community at-large.
Nomination package must include:
- A nomination letter that includes the 5 criteria listed above.
- A resume or summary of the nominee’s career accomplishments and any additional supporting documentation.
- A digital photo of the nominee (black and white or color).
The recipients of the award will be recognized at the 2014 Ohio Newspaper Association convention February 5-6 at the Hilton Downtown Columbus.
The deadline for nominations is December 10. Please submit all nominations electronically to Sue Bazzoli, ONA Manager of Administrative Services at email@example.com. You can download the complete nomination guidelines here.