- Winners of the 2017 Collegiate/Hooper Newspaper Awards (link to Issuu)
- Winners of the 2016 Collegiate/Hooper Newspaper Awards (link to Issuu)
- Winners Of The 2015 Collegiate/Hooper Newspaper Awards (link to Issuu)
- Winners Of The 2014 Collegiate Newspaper Awards (PDF)
- Winners Of The 2013 Ohio Collegiate Newspaper And Web Site Competition (PDF)
- Winners Of The 2012 Ohio Collegiate Newspaper And Web Site Competition (PDF)
In 2009, The Ohio News Media Association & Ohio News Media Foundation established the annual Ohio Collegiate Newspaper and Website Competition to recognize the achievements of Ohio’s college and university newspapers.
To be eligible, campus newspapers must be members in good standing in the University & College Newspaper membership category of ONA. There is no entry fee for this competition because it is a member service included in the $100 annual dues for ONA membership.
The contest consists of:
- Ten topical categories in two divisions with first, second, and third-place certificates awarded for each
- A point system for determining a general excellence winner. The top newspaper in each division receives the Frank E. Deaner General Excellence Award.
- An October entry deadline each year with awards presented the following February at the ONA Convention
Frank E. Deaner was instrumental in establishing the General Excellence Award competition, which is given to the top newspaper in each collegiate division. Frank E. Deaner was the executive director of the Ohio Newspaper Association for 20 years, retiring in 2011. Frank was instrumental in establishing the collegiate competition. He is a graduate of Ohio University where the Frank E. Deaner Scholarship provides two scholarships to students each year.
Entries are judged by a panel of professionals from ONMA member newspapers with winners notified in January.
For additional information on the contest or collegiate newspaper membership with ONMA, contact Sue Bazzoli, manager of administrative services, at email@example.com.