About the Collegiate Competition
In 2009, The Ohio Newspaper Association & Ohio Newspapers Foundation established the annual Ohio Collegiate Newspaper and Website Competition to recognize the achievements of Ohio’s college and university newspapers.
To be eligible, campus newspapers must be members in good standing in the University & College Newspaper membership category of ONA. There is no entry fee for this competition because it is a member service included in the $100 annual dues for ONA membership.
The contest consists of:
- Ten topical categories in two divisions with first, second, and third-place certificates awarded for each
- A point system for determining a general excellence winner. The top newspaper in each division receives the Frank E. Deaner General Excellence Award.
- An October entry deadline each year with awards presented the following February at the ONA Convention
Frank E. Deaner was instrumental in establishing the General Excellence Award competition, which is given to the top newspaper in each collegiate division. Frank E. Deaner was the executive director of the Ohio Newspaper Association for 20 years, retiring in 2011. Frank was instrumental in establishing the collegiate competition. He is a graduate of Ohio University where the Frank E. Deaner Scholarship provides two scholarships to students each year.
Entries are judged by a panel of professionals from ONA member newspapers with winners notified in January.
How to Submit
- Beginning on August 1, entries can be made using the Better BNC online contest platform at www.betternewspapercontest.com.
- The deadline for submissions to the Collegiate Contest is Oct. 15.
- Complete instructions for submitting your entries can be found here. (PDF download)
- Any newspaper submitting entries in Category 1: News Coverage and at least two other categories will be entered automatically in the Frank E. Deaner General Excellence Award competition. After all judging is completed, each qualifying newspaper is awarded points based on a point system. The award is given to the top paper in each division.
- Watch the video below to learn how to submit files using the contest website. While the video focuses on the Hooper contest, the same system is used for the Collegiate competition. Download the video script as a PDF here.
For additional information on the contest or collegiate newspaper membership with ONA, contact Sue Bazzoli, manager of administrative services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.